Mission & History
Davis Arts Center is a gathering place for dynamic engagement with the arts. Through multidisciplinary classes and programs for the regional community, the Arts Center inspires creative expression in people of all ages and fosters an environment for the arts to flourish.
Davis Arts Center celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2010. It is the only organization in the Sacramento region providing such a wide range of multidisciplinary arts programs for all age groups. Incorporated in 1960, the Arts Center was begun by a group of teaching artists offering classes in a series of rented buildings, moving to its own building at 1919 F Street in Community Park in 1987. The 10,000-square-foot structure includes studios for clay, weaving, visual art, dance, drama, and music as well as exhibit and performance spaces. Today, approximately 70 teaching artists offer more than 300 classes each season for children, teens and adults.
In 2014, the organization changed its name from Davis Art Center to Davis Arts Center to reflect its multi-disciplinary, multi-generational focus.
Davis Arts Center Collection
In 1967, Arts Center Board members and volunteers formed a committee to establish a permanent art collection by acquiring the work of regional artists. The committee acquired art through purchases and donations made by local artists at UC Davis and throughout Northern California, many of whom – such as Robert Arneson, Wayne Thiebaud, Roland Petersen, and David Gilhooly – went on to enjoy national prominence. Acquisitions continued through the 1980’s and the collection grew to include over 150 artworks by over 100 artists in a variety of media. more